Founded in 2007, Winchester Action on Climate Change (WinACC) is a fast growing and effective network of local people, businesses, organisations and leaders, not aligned to any political party. We work together to tackle climate change and transform Winchester into a low carbon district where people consume only their fair share of the earth’s resources, and where our lifestyles are not jeopardising the wellbeing of our children and grandchildren.
We aim to engage every household and organisation in the district in meeting the target of cutting the District’s emissions by 30 per cent over the 11 years from 2004 to 2015.
WinACC’s vision is of a more equitable, more enjoyable and more resilient low carbon society across the district, with healthier lifestyles, stronger communities, and greater food and energy security.
We are a charity, registration number 1126993, with a constitution. We are intending to convert to charitable company status in 2013 and more details will be available nearer the time. A charitable company (Winchester Action On Climate Change Ltd, company number 08013043, charity number 1150754) has been set up for this purpose, but is not yet active. It is a company limited by guarantee and is governed by Articles of Association.
WinACC people and jobs
How to get involved
- Action Groups
- community groups (including greening campaigns) working on climate change
- WinACC open meetings on Saturday mornings: 4 May 2013, 6 July 2013, 7 September 2013 and 2 November 2013 - at 10.00 for 10.30-12.00 at St Lawrence Parish Room, Winchester SO22
- WinACC eco-workshops on Tuesday evenings (joint with Friends of the Earth Winchester): 9 April 2013, 11 June 2013, 8 October 2013, 10 December 2013 - at 7.30 for 7.45-9.15 at United Church, Jewry St, Winchester SO23 8RZ.
WinACC is a registered charity which relies on donations from individuals, organisations and charitable trusts to fund its work. For example:
- £1,200 (£100 a month) could fund home energy efficiency surveys - and we know these really do prompt people to cut their footprint
- £600 (£50 a month) covers the cost of our newsletters for a year
- £120 (£10 a month) meets the typical expenses of an intern on a 3-months placement
- £60 (£5 a month) pays the advertising costs of a year's open meetings
- £24 (£2 a month) hires a room for a local group launch
If you can, please make a donation to help support our work.
Find out more about WinACC:
- Business Plan 2013-2014
- Annual report 2011-2012 and accounts 2010-2011
- WinACC organisational structure chart
Contact us by email, or ring 01962 827083. Our address is WinACC, Room 163. Main Building. University of Winchester, Sparkford Rd, Winchester SO22 4NR (we moved to this address in April 2011). (Map) Please go to reception and tell them to ring us if you visit to find the office.
Thank you to our funders past and present:
Knight Charitable Trust
South Central strategic health authority
South East Employers
| Winchester Cathedral|
and WinACC is grateful for help in kind from:
University of Winchester